What is a Body Hair Transplant?
Body Hair Transplantation (BHT) is an option that can enable you to undergo a hair transplant if there is no suitable donor areas on your scalp. This process allows donor follicles to be taken from another part of the body instead.
Who Should Have a Body Hair Transplant?
- Body hair transplants are only recommended when it is not possible to take a graft or follicles from your scalp.
- It is usually best to take the donor follicles from the same type of area. This allows the hair to retain its original characteristics after the transplant.
- Follicles taken from another part of your body will continue to look like body hair rather than head hair. The transplanted hair may be coarser or curlier. It will not be able to grow as long as the rest of the hair on your head.
- However, a body hair transplant can still be effective when scalp to scalp transplants aren‘t possible. It still allows hair to regrow on your head and can give you a shorter hairstyle look.
The Body Hair Transplant Procedure
- Body hair transplants are usually performed using the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method.
- The donor area will be numbed with a local anaesthetic. Individual follicular units will then be removed from across a wide enough area that their loss won’t be noticeable.
- After a local anaesthetic is given to the treatment area, small incisions will be made with a needle.
- The donor follicles will be individually implanted into these incisions in a natural-looking pattern.
- The hair follicles will be shed after a few weeks, but the effects will be permanent when they grow back.
- Use cold compressor to reduce post-surgical swelling and pain.
- Start taking prescribed medications immediately after your surgery.
- Keep your head in an upright position for 2 days at least.
- Avoid smoking for 1 week following the surgery.
- The vulnerable recipient area must be protected from the sun.
- Limit your alcohol and caffeine consumption for a few days.
- Picking or scratching the scalp is strictly not allowed for around 30 days.
- Limit or avoid sports or exercises for 30 days.
- Do not wear any hats or bandage for 10 days.
- Wash your hair as instructed by your surgeon.
- You can shower as normal using the shampoo given to you 10 days after your procedure.
- If you have question about hair products, dye and trimming your hair then please call one of our surgeon.
- Avoid taking blood thinning medication like Aspirin 3-4 days before the procedure.
- Quit smoking 3-4 days prior the procedure.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages for 2-3 days prior the procedure.
- Limit your caffeine intake 2-3 days before.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do Before the Surgery at Beyondmed
It is recommended not to get behind the wheel of the car immediately after the operation. This is to stop the seat making contact with the anti-inflammatory bandage that is applied after the operation is completed. At Beyond Med Centre we have Chauffeur Service included to take care of patients. For a short while, you are restrained from doing sport. For many busy and successful men, especially managers and public people, it is very important after a hair transplant to get back into operation as quickly as possible. Most importantly, the fact of the transplant is private. The Beyond Med Centre guarantees absolute confidentiality of your treatment and even when just getting patient advice.
Is there an age limit for body hair transplant?
- UPatients between the ages of 20 and 50 are considered as the most suitable candidates for a body transplant surgery. However, this does not always have to be limited within this specific range.
How long does it take for hair to grow after body transplant?
- Within a few weeks after the operation you may notice some hair loss from the new transplanted area. The transplanted hair will begin to grow again in 2-3 months. It will take up to 12 months to get the complete visible result.
Is there any scarring?
- With FUE there’s no visible linear scarring, making it a better choice. FUE only leaves minute, dot-like scars where each follicle was individually removed. These are virtually impossible to see, even when the hair is cropped very close to the head.
Is it a painful procedure?
- The FUE procedure will be performed under a local anaesthetic and will generally be a painless process.
What is the recovery period?
- The recovery time for Body Hair transplant surgery is usually around 3-5 days. As you might expect, due to the removal of hair follicles, some swelling of the head typically occurs. This is only temporary and will resolve completely.
Where can I get the body hair transplant surgery?
- The body hair transplant surgery can be performed at all our locations across the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.
Men Hair Transplant (FUE)
Women Hair Transplant (FUE)
Beard Hair Transplant
Eyebrow Hair Transplant
Body Hair to Head Transplant