Female Hair Transplant Overview
Although women decide to undergo hair transplant surgery much less often than men, psychologically, they are more difficult. The male often feels “cool and macho” regardless of the amount of hair on the top of his head. For a female, an “ugly” problem on her head causes constant moral experiences, makes her flaws carefully conceal and mask.
This is not only because today’s aesthetic standard in society is a well-groomed woman with beautiful hair. Often for the weak half of humanity, an attractive appearance with a well-thought-out hairstyle determines a lot of outcomes. This includes new relationships, the possibility of getting promising work, and a different sense of self.
From a medical point of view, the triggers for hair loss in women are greater. Pregnancy, the postpartum period, menopause, malfunctions in the endocrine system and acute stress conditions are just some causes. The risk of hair loss increases with frequent dyeing, chemical attack, African braids and other types of braids (weaving).
The final decision on a female hair transplant is made only after a comprehensive examination and diagnosis of the patient. For example, loss can be associated not with alopecia, but with:-
- severe fungal skin diseases,
- and the use of antidepressants.
Causes of Female Baldness Beyondmed Work with
The experience and professionalism of the specialists at BMC allow for effective female hair transplants in almost all problem situations.
- Female pattern baldness. The androgenetic alopecia, in which hair loss occurs from the frontal part of the head to the crown. The cause is a hormonal imbalance that stops the function of hair growth. The severity of alopecia in women (there are three in total) is evaluated on a Ludwig scale. Transplantation is indicated at stages 2 and 3.
- Natural high hairline (frontal line). As a rule, this is an innate feature that gives an unnatural appearance to the female appearance. During the operation, not only the height of the frontal line is corrected, but also its shape.
- Cicatricial deformities. Post-traumatic and post-burn changes that cause the replacement of follicles with connective tissue. Recently, all our surgeons have had to correct the consequences of failed plastic surgeries. These have often left rough scars. Unprofessional plastic also leads to a change in the hairline, which also needs to be adjusted.
Eyebrow correction. Threaded plucked eyebrows are a thing of the past. Today, thicker, wider eyebrows that look natural and beautiful are in fashion. Donor material is taken from the scalp and implanted. It not only creates a nice “density”, but also forms the desired shape of the eyebrow line.
The Female Hair Transplant Procedure
- Step 1 – Female Hair Transplant operations are performed on patients with a mild sedation (optional) and injected with local anaesthesia. The scalp is treated with an antibacterial agent prior to the donor scalp being harvested.
- Step 2 – Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE harvesting. This micro removal typically uses tiny pinches of 1 to 4 hairs. They are extracted using a microtip from your donor area.
- Step 3 – Very small micro blades or fine needles are used to puncture the sites for extracting the grafts. They are placed in a predetermined pattern and density. This is to create a realistic and natural hair looking results.
- Step 4 – The final part of the operation is by inserting individual grafts at the recipient area (area of concern).
- Step 5 – Advances in wound care allow for semi-permeable dressing to be applied at the back of the head. This will aid in wound healing.
The Ludwig Scale
What is Ludwig Scale?
The Ludwig scale is a method of classifying female pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia), and ranges from stages I to III.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do Before the Surgery at Beyondmed
Two weeks before the operation, it is better to completely avoid alcohol, (smokers – also from cigarettes). On the day of the operation, it is normal to spend a lot of your time in a horizontal position. Mild discomfort with the introduction of anaesthesia will last literally a second, and other pain during a hair transplant will no longer occur.
It is recommended not to get behind the wheel of the car immediately after the operation. This is to stop the seat making contact with the anti-inflammatory bandage that is applied after the operation is completed. At Beyond Med Centre we have Chauffeur Service included to take care of patients. For a short while, you are restrained from doing sport. For many busy and successful men, especially managers and public people, it is very important after a hair transplant to get back into operation as quickly as possible. Most importantly, the fact of the transplant is private. The Beyond Med Centre guarantees absolute confidentiality of your treatment and even when just getting patient advice.
Is hair transplant for Men and women?
- Hair loss can affect both men and women. Hair transplant is widely used for both men and women. It is more common for men to want the hair transplant procedure.
Is there an age limit for hair transplant?
- Patients between the ages of 20 and 50 are considered as the most suitable candidates for a hair transplant surgery.
- A balding or receding hairline can occur at any stage of life. It usually affects males around the age of 33. However, most men start to notice a receding hairline in their early 20’s. This has caused an increase in young men looking at FUE hair transplants as a solution.
How long does it take for hair to grow after hair transplant?
- Within a few weeks after the operation you may notice some hair loss from the new transplanted area.
- The transplanted hair will begin to grow again in 2-3 months. It will take up to 12 months to get the complete result.
Is there any scarring?
- With FUE there’s no visible linear scarring, which makes it a better choice. FUE only leaves minute, dot-like scars where each follicle was individually removed.
- These are nearly impossible to see.
- As a result of the strip method (FUT) it creates a linear scar on the back of the head.
Is it a painful procedure?
- The FUE procedure will be performed under local anaesthesia and is minimal to no pain during the procedure.
What is the recovery period?
- The recovery time for FUE is usually around 8-10 days.
- Recovery time depends on the type of surgery used, with FUE offering faster recovery times.
- In general, most people return to work within a week of the procedure. If stitches are used, they will be removed within 10 days.
- Most of the transplanted hair will fall out within 6 weeks post-surgery. New hair growth should be visible in the recipient areas within months, with hair growing by a half-inch each month.
Where can I get the female hair transplant Surgery?
- The Female Hair Transplant Surgery can be performed at all our locations across London and the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.
Men Hair Transplant (FUE)
Women Hair Transplant (FUE)
Beard Hair Transplant
Eyebrow Hair Transplant